Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, July 12

Featuring:
Karen Kamensek (conductor)
Benjamin Schmid (violin)

Sometimes I feel the need to do something cultured. So when a pair of tickets to the Philharmonic Orchestra fell into my hands, it was that time. To be honest, I've only been once before and that was maybe 10 years ago.

So this very Sunday afternoon, we got dressed and went for it. We sat in the corporate suite which is on the upper level on the left hand side. We looked down and it was half packed.

The beginning of the programme were music by Michael Torke who is a famous American composer who I obviously have never heard off till this very day. The conductor Karen was one of the most enthusiastic one i have ever seen and as the music score played on, it felt her movements were the one visual movement i could focus on to keep me from dreaming. I do like to close my eyes and listen but today I was seriously scared of falling asleep. Not a good idea to this on a Sunday afternoon!

From a layman, the closest connection to orchestra music was from all the Disney cartoons. So it felt like i was creating a story in my head, something similar to the "Little Mermaid", sound of the ocean, the drama, the evil conspiracies and the forbidden love of course. Half hour through and it was just enough to bare. My imagination was running thin. Plus it doesn't help when my partner is even less interested than me and he kept whispering in my ear!

When Benjamin Schmid the violinist came on for the Violin Concerto in D, it was the turning point. It really was inspiring and romantic. He was a charismatic performer and I slowly managed to soak up the music. It was moving. So moving, I almost moved my hands to sway to the music.

Another half hour through and then there was an intermission. It felt that the violin concerto was the climax for me. I couldn't do another 40mins of just symphony so I am embarassed to say, we left. I am soooo not cultured, it feels sad :( boo hoo...

Lesson learnt:
1) Not on a Sunday afternoon! Choose the night show if you have a choice as it puts you in a better frame of mind
2) Always have coffee before and consider one during intermission
3) Go with someone who atleast has a relative interest or you are going to get even further distracted
4) Sit back, close your eyes, soak in the music and BE PREPARED to let your imagination run wild.

P/S: From top view, I saw a guy nodding in his sleep. And he was sitting right in front! Tsk tsk.

P/P/S: Will I ever do it again? For sure....but in another 2-3 years maybe. Hehe :) I do know they once had one programme with the musical score from the Lord of the Rings. I did want to go but it was SOLD OUT. So there is hope for me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment